It’s not very uncommon to find people who undermine you for everything you do. If you don’t, you’re lucky (or unlucky, if it’s the right kind of people). However, it does take an emotional toll at times and it’s often better to deal with it before it gets to your nerves. But before you deal with it and before you lose your nerves, you should make sure that the person is actually socially undermining you. You know, the last thing you’d want is to embarrass yourself AND stop getting some good insights for improvements.
There’s ways to know for sure. A few of them…
1. See if they do it to others too.
2. You feel defensive around them as if you need to prove yourself.
3. They’re great at back handed comments, comments that are oddly insulting.
4. They seem to oversell themselves as caring and nurturing.
5. They tempt you and steer you from your goals with tempting options.
If you think you have someone that socially undermines you, you should likely deal with them, sooner rather than later. Now it depends on the type of person you are dealing with. Solutions can range from letting the person out of your life smoothly, to confronting them and either explaining your motives and decisions or understanding their point of view. You can read all about it over at lifehacker. They explain how to know if a person is undermining you and how to deal with the different kinds of social underminers.